Saturday, January 7, 2012

First Day Projects

For the first day of school, I wanted to do something fun and introduce myself to me new students.  I used a nice short little project that I learned from the wonderful and amazing Mrs. Sara Wilda and while students worked on it, I showed them my slide show of Cooper's summer adventures.  The project we did was to create colorful and name signs for each class's teacher.  I took 18"x 24" sheets of heavy white paper and folded them in half.  On each side of the fold I wrote the teacher's name in block letters with a Sharpie.  I made one of these signs for every teacher in our school and then cut the sign into as many pieces as there are students in the class.  We talked about contrast and how using warm and cool colors next to each other can make things stand out.  Each student got a piece of the sign and colored it in however they wanted.  As they finished their piece they brought it back to me and helped me glue it into its correct place.  Once all the pieces were glued on, I laminated the sign, folded it and hung it outside each teacher's door.  They turned out really nice and it was a great way to get kids working on art the first day and making something nice for their teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment