Friday, January 20, 2012

Crazy Kinder Corn Cobs!

This was a really fun project that we did in October with the Kindergartners.  I had bought a bunch of sweet and Indian corn cobs from a farm outside town and I talked with the students about how autumn is a time of harvest.  How we plant, grow, and now harvest the crops that we eat.  I showed the students the Indian corn and we passed it around looking closely at all the colors and shape of each kernel.  I had cut the corn cobs in half and put in those corn cob picker things that you poke into the ends of the cobs to hold while buttering.  I set out six trays of paint, one on each table.  The three tables on each side of the room had the three primary colors.  I had my students all wear an art smock so they wouldn't get paint all over their clothes.  They each got a 12"x18" piece of paper which they carried from table to table, color to color.  They held onto the pokers and dipped the cob into the paint and rolled it all over their paper.  By overlapping the colors we discovered the we got all sorts of new colors similar to that of the Indian corn we looked at earlier.

In the next class, I showed students how to draw a corn cob shape.  I had a paint tray with five different colors on it and showed the students how dip our brushes into each color without mixing the paint.  We used all the paints on our brushes to make little kernel dots inside the corn cob shape we drew.  After we filled it all up with as many kernels as we could fit, we used white, brown, and yellow paint to make the husks on the end of the cob.  Fun project and the kids really loved painting with the corn cobs.


No comments:

Post a Comment